Saturday, June 13, 2009

High Jinks

Goodbye 3-star business hotel, hello the good life! JD promised transport, and did he ever deliver...

I'm dictating this entry aboard the yacht High Jinks, en-route from Ceres to our new purchase, the fab we've renamed the Cornucopia. Although I've spent most of the last 8 or so years bouncing around the system, it's always been on scheduled passenger liners for the long hauls, with employer-chartered shuttles for the final leg. Finally, thanks to JD and a "very significant shareholder", I get to travel zillionaire-style.

Funny thing about luxury and yachts: the environment is definitely gorgeous - the ship was largely hand-built, with actual wood and leather trim in the interior - like something from a magazine cover- but the actual square footage is definitely on the low side. I've got my own cabin, which is gorgeous, but tiny - bunk plus a miniscule wardrobe, and a desk just about large enough for the 'puter I'm talking to - about a quarter of the space I had in the business hotel (and definitely no private bathroom). Best feature of my cabin: the view from the huge oval porthole right over my bunk. This far from any planet, with my cabin lights off and my eyes dark-adjusted, the view is... like nothing on Earth.

Right, I'm going to try to catch 40 winks between my zillionaire sheets before we reach the Cornucopia.

Alex out.

No comments:

Post a Comment